Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm an Indian

Singer-composer Adnan Sami is none too pleased by attempts in the Pakistani media to club his case with that of the lately-beleaguered Pakistani singer Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan who returned to Pakistan.Foiled attempts have been made by the media from across the border to get in touch with Adnan and his family in Pakistan and India.

Says Adnan angrily, “I don't know why the Pakistani media is bringing my name up in Rahat's context. First of all I am not being hounded/targeted/victimized/persecuted in Mumbai. I am doing just fine, shukriya. Yes, I'm in a spot of trouble with the government over a foreign-exchange issue.But you can't compare my problem with Rahat's. I had done everything as per official instruction.It was the authorities who did not read the fine -print.”

Adnan sidesteps the strong rumours that he is under renewed threat from a regional political party to leave the country.

“Arrey yaar, there will be the party-poopers in every situation.You can't run away and hide just because some people want to get rid of you. Let me make it very clear that Mumbai is my city. This is where I now belong.And no one can drive me out.”

Reacting to rumours that he still maintains a Pakistani passport Adnan sighs, “My application for an Indian passport is almost come through. I'll soon be an Indian citizen. Until then, yes I do hold a Pakistani passport. Does that make me Pakistani?

We've an example of a very important and beloved leader coming from Italy. How Italian would you consider this beloved leader who is dedicated to Indian politics? Nationality is a state of mind.I am Indian.I dare anyone to prove otherwise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...